If you’ve ever referred to your personal reading list as your “listen list” then you’re probably a fan of audiobooks! But, if you aren’t a regular audiobook user, then June’s Audiobook Appreciation Month is the perfect time to check them out.
With the widespread use and convenience of smartphones and tablets, audiobooks have grown significantly in popularity. Most people have some type of mobile device right in their pocket, purse, or backpack. And while some readers may prefer the experience of holding onto a print book and taking in its pages, many of us are choosing to checkout or download popular book titles from the library and listen to entertaining narrators tell the story.
Last year, more than 55 million Americans listened to at least one audiobook, and the format remains the fastest growing segment in publishing. The Poudre River Public Library District has nearly 37,000 audiobook holdings available for checkout to cardholders. Whether you choose to check out a CD bundle or download the audiobook using one of our free databases (hoopla, OneClick Digital, and OverDrive), the audiobook experience is rewarding and may even introduce new books, genres, and authors to your reading list.
Still not convinced to go with an audiobook? Here’s seven reasons to choose audiobooks this summer.
- No more “are we there yet?” Long summer road trips are made more pleasurable when the kids are entertained by a great audiobook.
- The house will be super clean. Okay, maybe not, but at least chores will be more fun when you’re listening to an audiobook while vacuuming or folding laundry.
- You can run/walk/hike/bike for miles. Or at least until you’re tired. But those miles will go by faster when you’re immersed in a great story.
- You’ll smash the Summer Reading Challenge! How many print books do you sit down to read in a week? A month? With audiobooks, you can find time to read even when you don’t have time to sit and read. Your Summer Reading list will be huge!
- Being read-to is good for all ages. Read-alouds are always popular with young readers, but there’s a special pleasure about being read to even when you’re an adult. Plus, young readers don’t have to worry about reading levels when choosing an audiobook – they can experiment with books that might be slightly above their reading level simply for the enjoyment of the story.
- It’s an experience. Great audiobooks are theatrical experiences in themselves. Great narrators, and even strong celebrity voices, lend an entertaining and engrossing element to audiobooks. Check out the 2016 Audie Awards winners for a list of distinctive audiobooks and narrators.
- They’re free! When you use your Poudre River Public Library District card to check them out or download them to your smartphone or tablet.
Readers! Are you already audiobook fans? Why or why not? Do you have a favorite “reader”? Let us know in the comments!