“What? I never knew the library had these things!”
It’s a statement Poudre River Public Library District librarians and staff hear a lot when it comes to all of the resources, programs, and services available across the district. Many people think the library is just about children’s storytimes or books. But in fact, we’re that and so much more!
Here are 25 Great Reasons why you and everyone in your family should sign up for a library card and use this valuable community resource. Plus, September is the perfect month to get everyone library cards — it’s National Library Card Signup Month!
- Because the library is about more than just books. (Though we do have more than 340,000 print volumes.)
- Because 5 out of 5 doctors agree reading aloud to children supports brain development.
- Because bridges can be built among different community groups with libraries.
- Because you have questions and the library has answers.
- Because you should be able to use wi-fi without having to purchase a grande half-caf caramel macchiato.
- Because it’s 3AM and you just took an interest in gardening.
- Because it’s about time you wrote and published your novel, and we can help!
- Because one of your best traits is curiosity and the library is the place to #ConnectToCuriosity.
- Because free classes, workshops, and tutorials are only a click away.
- Because learning starts before kindergarten. Every child should have their own library card.
- Because why should you pay for information you can get for free.
- Because students can’t afford scholarly journals on a ramen noodle budget.
- Because there’s no single source for information. (Sorry Wikipedia.)
- Because fake news has real-world consequences.
- Because free access to information equals opportunity.
- Because librarians know information is the best medicine for healthcare questions.
- Because learning lasts a lifetime and goes beyond a classroom.
- Because you want to “try it” before you buy it. (We have GoPros, Fitbits, and other Gadgets & Things.)
- Because library storytimes get an A+ for early literacy fun. (And they don’t know how much they’re learning!)
- Because it’s midnight and you really need to read that one book you heard about.
- Because employers want candidates who know the difference between a web search and research.
- Because not everything on the Internet is true…. Librarians were the first search engine.
- Because your tween just took an interest in programming and coding.
- Because you’re never too old to try something new.
- Because libraries transform lives and communities!
For more information about how to sign-up for a library card, visit our website or call the Answer Center at 970-221-6740.
See you at the library!