Mateys, we be drawin’ close to the end o’ football season. The super bowl be right ’round the corner. Pretty soon, we’ll be cheerin’, shoutin’, eatin’, laughin’, and all sorts o’ merriment. Football be not a traditional pirate sport, but I’ve grown to like this particular American pastime, so I looked into its origins usin’ the Answer Cache. In me searches, I found these 5 facts.
1. The first e’er super bowl game was called the NFL-AFL Championship Game. Ye see, in the beginnin’ o’ football there be two leagues– the National Football League and the American Football League. They fought over fans, players, and television revenues for six whole years before the lads got together and decided to merge the two. The final league be known as the National Football League and was officially formed in 1966. Savvy?
2. After the league’s merged, they created two conferences– the National Football Conference (NFC) and the American Football Conference (AFC).
3. Today’s NFL consists o’ 32 teams divided equally between the two conferences.
4. The first two Super Bowls were won by Vince Lombardi’s Green Bay Packers. Super Bowl winners be awarded the Vince Lombardi Trophy to this day.
5. Did ye know that even durin’ the first e’er Super Bowl a 30-second ad cost $37,500? Blimey! Today it cost a lad as much as $3 million.
I can’t wait to watch the game on Sunday and drink some grog while I be at it. Har Har. So me harties, who be you rootin’ for?
Til next time… maybe you can use these facts for some fun durin’ the halftime show!